What is DAN
DAN stands for Divers Alert Network, or as it is familiarly known the 'diver's safety net'.
DAN was born in 1980 following the initiative of certain scientists and university professors of international standing, in the USA and in Italy, who had understood that the managing of a diving emergency requires a special knowledge, not commonly found as part of normal medical structures.
DAN's mission is that of operating and maintaining an international network of alarm centers, active 24 hours a day, guaranteeing, in the event of an emergency, specialized assistance, to any diver, anywhere in the world.DAN also provides diving medical advice, carries out research into diving safety, organizes courses and seminars with the aim of increasing the knowledge and sense of responsibility of recreational divers and provides financial and technical assistance to hyperbaric treatment centers in developing countries.
oining DAN means actively participating in the largest global diver organisation with over 200.000 members world-wide and agreeing to give an important contribution to DAN's work in safeguarding the safety of all divers and in diving medical research.
Each member also obtains personal benefits and services so particularly valid as to be considered unique in their class.
* 24 hour, 7days a week, medical assistance, in the event of a diving emergency world-wide
* Organization of medical transportation
* Coordination of medical and hyperbaric therapy
* Medical advice
* Referral to medical specialists
* Travel assistance, extendable to family members (DAN TRAVEL ASSIST)
* Policies specific to diving activities, through the best insurance companies, valid world-wide and without any excess fee
* Assistance in and handling of the required formalities in the event of an accident
Documents and other personal benefits
* Membership card with personal data and the telephone numbers to call in case of emergency
* International Insurance certificate
* Annual subscription to the scientific ALERT DIVER magazine
* On line Catalogue of first aid goods, books, slides, videos etc. at special prices reserved for members
* Special offers and conditions for Dive Trips and Dive Packets
* Notification of seminars and conferences on underwater safety
* Information on diving emergency first aid courses
* Participation in research programs
* Information about diving safety through DAN Europe’s publications and website